View Larger Map
1852*: The first Mass was offered by Father Patrick McCabe in the homes of pioneer setters.
1853: The first log church was built and Father McCabe commuted to the community by boat from Cairo. Father McCabe continued to serve the parish while working as a common laborer on the railroads for 75 cents a day.
1929: The present brick church was completed.
2012: The parish, formerly a mission of St. Mary's Church in Shawneetown, was joined to the newly erected St. Kateri Parish.
*This brief history is taken from A Time of Favor: The Story of the Catholic Family of Southern Illinois by Betty Burnett.